Our restaurant is located in Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere, right in front of the homonym Basilica, the largest in the district Trastevere. And now, some history:
The Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere was founded in the third century
Pope Callistus I, was later renewed under Pope Innocent II (1130-1143).
The facade at the top of a mosaic of the thirteenth century,
depicts Mary on a throne suckling the Child, flanked by ten women
bearing lamps. The fašade is preceded by a portico, designed by Carlo
On top of the Romanesque bell tower, one sees a mosaic of the
Madonna and Child in a niche.
Inside, three aisles on Ionic columns archite (inspired
Santa Maria Maggiore), you can see the beautiful wooden ceiling, designed by
Domenichino (the author of the Assumption in the center) and some pictures
dating back to the restoration of the nineteenth century, under Pope Pius IX. In the first
chapel on the right is Santa Francesca Romana di Giacomo
Zoboli while in the second chapel of the Nativity Parrocel Etienne.
In the basin of the apse you can admire a mosaic of the Coronation
Madonna (XII century), decorated at the bottom, from Stories
of the Virgin, also in mosaic by Pietro Cavallini (1291). The
the first chapel on the left is the chapel of Avila, with stucco
Baroque by Antonio Gherardi (1680). Between the fourth and third
there is the tomb chapel of Innocent II, designed by architect Vespignani
that between 1866 and 1877 performed a stylistic restoration of the church.
In the third chapel lunettes, ceiling and altarpiece Ferrau Tenzone.
Among other works of art marks the icon of Madonna della Clemenza
or Madonna Theotokos, perhaps most precious specimen dating to the sixth century
(But some historians assume VIII), the rigid frontal and
brilliant colors correlate with the first layer of frescoes
the church of Santa Maria Antiqua. The chapel dates back to Altemps
Sixteenth century and houses the tomb of Cardinal Marco Sittico
Altemps that the tympanum bears the statues of Faith and Prudence
Giovanni Antonio Paracca (the Valsoldo) where classical and expressive
Lombard blend beautifully.